Monday, February 13, 2012

02/13/12 - Valentine's Day

Does this holiday sorta make your stomach churn? Another year, lonely, and dateless?

Yes, you can take this holiday and have yourself a good old pity party! You can get together with your other single friends and lament your sad state of singleness OR you can get radical and do something to lift your attitude.

Can I challenge you to serve a marriage within your church family or family? Yes, that's right...serve! Look outside yourself tomorrow and selfless serve through babysitting, giving a gift card for a couple to go out to eat, provide a meal for a couple...just serve, 100% and with complete selflessness!

Trust me...I was a single till I was 28. I had plenty of Valentine pity parties and what a shame I wasted those days! I could have been a blessing to a couple and serve their marriage. I was just upset they had something I wanted. How narrow minded of me and completely selfish!!

If you want a happy, satisfying marriage someday the number 1 quality you will want is selflessness...why not start today learning more how to set "self" aside and serve!

4 comments:

BekLovesJeremy said...

My younger sister who is still single {24} offered to babysit our children so we can go on a date tomorrow night. i am SOOO excited! our first real date was on valentines day 7 years ago. we are going to go back to the same place and relive some memories. i just keep on thinking about how selfless she is to do this. when i thanked her and told her how sweet she was... she said well she figured she might was well DO something. there was no point to just sitting at home on Valentines Day. I'm so proud of her!

Heather Patenaude said...

I love that Rebekah! I wish I could say that's what I did when I was single!!

Elizabeth said...

I never thought of that before. We used to love getting the single girls together for Valentine's Day in college, but I never thought of it as a "pity party" or that we could have done something else instead. In fact, our friends who had boyfriends often joined us as well. We had lots of fun and yummy food. Of course, we didn't really know married couples.

I'm married now and it still rarely occurs to me to babysit, unless specifically asked.

That is definitely a sign of maturity, to try to encourage a married couple to be romantic when you are longing for romance yourself!

Heather Patenaude said...

Elizabeth...I don't think getting together with single girls on V-day is always a pity party...hope that you didn't think I meant that.

Babysitting is a way to encourage marriages because couples need time away from the kids.

Again I wish I did more of that before I was married with kids. We have, as a family, watched other kids, but not nearly enough!