Saturday, July 23, 2011

07/23/11 - True North

In our conservative Christian circles we have lots of debates. These debates split churches and relationships. But what did Paul say, "For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." 1 Cor. 2:2

He didn't make it about:
  • Reformed Theology
  • Homeschooling or Public School
  • Dating or not Dating
  • King James Version or another one
  • Birth Control
  • Creation Care/Environmentalism
  • Sunday School or Family Integration
  • Speaking in tongues as a sign of baptism of the Holy Spirit
  • Biblical Manhood/Womanhood
  • TV or no TV
  • Hymns or Praise and Worship Songs
  • What you wear
  • Drinking (not drunkenness)
  • When and how often you should take communion
  • Sabbath
  • Should Campus Crusade for Christ change it's name
  • Acceptable movies
  • or you name the debate
Yes, these topics are important and if you know me, you know I have an opinion on almost all of them. But are they are the core of what is essential? We must learn to walk hand in hand with those who have different opinions on these topics.

We must look at our True North, Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

(Many of my thoughts came from listening to Eric Ludy's sermon: The Ellerslie Experience. )

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yes! Amen and amen. I have it on my agenda to listen to Eric's sermon too. I just need to do it! At the end of the day, if we have the primary doctrines in common, then we are brothers and sisters-family! This verse comes to mind: "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." I'm tired of the arguments over tertiary doctrines. Christ's prayer for us, as disciples, is that we would be unified (John 17). I'm much more intersted in what we have in common than in what divides us. :)

Heather Patenaude said...

Thanks Lindsay for your comments. I appreciate them!

Heather

Julie T. said...

You're right, too many churches split because of these type of "petty" issues. We should care more about that which unites us--the Gospel of Chris--than any other moral issue.