Monday, May 2, 2011

05/02/11 - Modesty

Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 1 Timothy 2:9-10

Modesty is a hot topic in Christian circle. What is modest? What is immodest? How do we honor God in what we wear? How do we have an open, honest, and frank discussion about this topic without coming across prideful or legalistic?

As I’ve been reading through Mary Kassian’s book: Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild, I realized that we all have wildness in our heart. We all have fleshly bents of the heart that pull the attention off of honoring God and put it squarely to us. We all have the bent of heart this way in our flesh.

I've observed in my own heart a bent towards wanting to wear clothes that put the focus on me, and not on God. It’s a matter of the heart I’ve had to wrestle with over the years.

However, as the weather warms up the cleavage comes out. The shorts get shorter, the tops get lower, and the dresses get tighter. Literally it’s a sea of cleavage in the world and in the church.

Having a husband and three sons has changed my view of what is modest vs. immodest. As a mom of sons I believe it’s my duty to protect their eyes for their future wives. Also, I don’t want their eyes to be stimulated too early by images that could haunt them their entire life.

So I started noticing the plunging necklines and all the cleavage that was all around me, around them! Not just them, but I have a husband who doesn’t need to see other women’s boobs.

Ladies, when you look in the mirror, if you see your boobs, other people see your boobs. If you’re in a low cut top and bend over in front of mirror and see boobs, others will see your boobs.

Don’t just take my word for it. Here’s John Piper’s take on Modesty: Is Modesty an Issue in the Church today?

Look over the results of The Modesty Survey done by the Rebelution. These are real thoughts from real guys on modesty.

Or listen to part of C.J. Mahaney’s message on modesty as he reads a letter from a young man on modesty. *edit* Here's another link: Ladies What do Your Clothes Say About You.

As we hear about the struggle men face with this issue, why to we come as close to the edge as we can? Why do we see “how much we can get away with”?

Our hearts should be in humble submission to God asking Him what He finds acceptable, modest, and appropriate. We should ask if our clothes have people look at our faces or other parts of our bodies.

We are representing Christ in our dress! That has to be our focus! We are to shine the gospel to those looking at our clothes!

This is going to look different for women, but I hope we can all agree that cleavage is immodest, no matter what the occasion, what the outfit, how the person looks in the outfit, or how little of the cleavage is showing.

4 comments:

BekLovesJeremy said...

such good thoughts Heather. this bothers me a lot too. thanks for having the courage to write this.

SaraS said...

Thank you!! I am a sophomore in college and am giving a persuasive speech about modesty this week. Thank you for reinforcing the value of modesty. I love the link to the Modesty Survey. God bless!

Elizabeth said...

A much-needed message!

Jo said...

Modesty is important so thanks for this message.