Friday, April 15, 2011

04/15/11 - Leaving and Cleaving (part 1)

Last week at a wedding the pastor was talking about "leaving and cleaving". He said that the primary bond of the groom and bride to their parents was to be transferred to each other. He stressed this point. The fact is their allegiance should be towards each other and should be the strongest bond in their life.

As a mom, the bond with my sons is strong. It's been present since the moment I found out I was pregnant. (I still remember the exact moment I found out I was pregnant with each son.)

But as a mom my hope is to prepare them for a bond that will be even stronger than the one I have with them.

Eight years (almost) into my marriage I see that we as a Christian community aren't talking enough about what the "leaving and cleaving" looks like.

Many young people struggle with, "What does this look like?" And many parents struggle with feeling not as important in their child's life any longer.

Next week I hope to post some of my thoughts about this topic and I'd appreciate any of your own personal thoughts or testimonies. I think the more we talk about it the "easier" it may be for some of us to "leave and cleave". It may also give parents tools to help their child break away from that original family of origin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would whole-heartedly agree with your assessment. This is such an important facet to establishing not only stable marriages but the institution of marriage itself. This just is nolonger modeled in our culture today. Looking forward to your imput and insights.