Thursday, April 14, 2011

04/14/11 - Tips for getting into the Word

(I wrote this article for my local MOPS group, so yes,

it's geared towards moms, but I hope it can be helpful for you!)



I can do all things through Him who strengths me

Philippians 4:13

In these tiring days of wiping noses, cleaning up messes, being on the brink of exhaustion, and acting more like a ref than a mom some days, how do we stay spiritually satisfied?

As moms of preschoolers there should be a sense of urgency to keep ourselves spiritually full each day. If we have a bent towards spiritual matters our kids will have a bent towards spiritual matters. Also, if we’re to be raising up this generation of kids it’s best we go to The Book to find out how to! But how does that practically work itself out each day?

I hope these practical tips will help you as grow spiritually as a mom of preschoolers!

1) Don’t compare how other mom’s do it. When I hear of a mom who gets up an hour before her kids to do her bible time, I sigh, “I’d have to get up at 5 am and honestly I need sleep!” This doesn’t work for my schedule or with my kids.

2) Find the best time to get some time in God’s Word. We should try to get at least 15 minutes a day reading God’s Word. Now before you lament that you don’t even have 15 minutes, look at what you do: Do you watch TV, surf the Internet, or look at random profiles of friends on Facebook? I am sure if we all got real honest with ourselves we can find 15 minutes.

3) Find some verses that really minister to your heart, write them out on 3x5 cards and post them where you spend most of your time: kitchen, car, bathroom, laundry room, or carry them in your diaper bag.

4) Leave bibles around your house where you spend time nursing, cooking a meal, or in your car. Having the Word around will give you more of a chance to grab a quick spiritual snack.

5) When you do get some “time off”, use some of that time of concentrated and quality time reading God’s Word. This has proven to be some of the most spiritually awesome times for me!

6) Get accountable with another mom. One great idea is to text a friend “check” each day after you’ve read. For me, there’s a group of gals on Facebook I “check” in with each day after reading.

7) It doesn’t have to be overwhelming, just read the Proverbs of the day. So the 6th of the month read Proverbs 6. Or pick a passage of scripture and read it every day for a month or two. (I’ve been in the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5 – 7 nearly every day since Jan 1) You’ll be amazed at how much you are fed just by reading and re-reading the same passage!

8) Subscribe to a podcast of your favorite teacher (Can I suggest: Walk in the Word, Revive our Hearts or FamilyLife Today) and while you’re folding laundry or playing a game on Facebook you can turn on a sermon to be encouraged.

9) If you have time join a bible study. This may require more of a time commitment, but would provide accountability and some life on life mentoring you may need in this season of life.

10) Relax! There are no rules on how you do your “bible time”. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you what works for you! And remember we only do this “through Christ who strengthens” us!

I hope you’re encouraged by one of these tips and I hope that you continue in your daily bible time or find time to get started!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'm not a mom, but many of your tips apply to me too! Thanks! In regard to your index card idea, I have a tip: buy the spiral bound cards. You can write a verse on each one, and easily flip through them. You can keep them in your purse, diaper bag, work desk, wherever!