Wednesday, March 9, 2011

03/09/11 - Girls Gone Wise Wednesday


Here's Mary's weekly V-log: How Hot is Too Hot?

And the week's questions: Appearance

When I read this chapter I thought, "How do I condense this to one blog post?" Modesty is a topic close to my heart because I see how young women have been sold the worlds lie about dress and modesty.

It seems everywhere I turn I see more skin, more sex appeal, and less godly counsel in this area. Then Mary lays out modesty from a totally new perspective in this chapter! She goes back to the garden of Eden and starts there with nakedness and covering.

Forgive me, but I am just going to share what I underlined in this chapter and would love to hear your thoughts if you've read this chapter!

"The shame of their fallen condition demanded a covering, not to conceal it, but to confess and redeem it. This is a very important point. Clothing bears witness to the fact that we have lost the glory and beauty of our original sin-free selves." (pg 99)

"His covering makes us decent. Without it, we are indecent. The physical clothes we wear is supposed to bear witness to that fact."(pg 100)

"Sin encourages us to throw off clothing and inhibition, and proudly display our nakedness" (pg 102)

"The heart is where we put on Christ and the clothing of Christ." (pg 102)

"Spiritual adornment is the reality. Physical adornment is the symbol of that reality." (pg 103)

"First, and foremost, your clothing ought to be becoming, congruous with, fitting to, and consistent with your character as a Child of God. It needs to 'match' the clothing of Christ." (pg 104)

"Your clothing tells the truth about the gospel." (pg 106)

As Christian women we will either be wild or wise in how we dress ourselves. We'll either draw attention to Christ in the way we dress or draw attention to ourselves.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for these thoughts! I know it's something I've had to think through as I've been at college.
I appreciate your writings! They've really encouraged me as I'm learning what being an authentic woman of God looks like.

I wanted to share with you a post that I wrote on my blog recently about learning on being a Christ-centered single woman. Here is the link if you are interested: http://kimiposts.blogspot.com/2011/02/girl-talk.html

Boutique Narelle said...

Thanks, Heather! I particularly love the first quote, "not to conceal it, but to confess and redeem it". I've never heard it put like that.

Evelyn said...

Amen! Can I read Girls Gone Wise on internet?