Monday, November 22, 2010

11/22/10 - My Testimony (Part 3)


One of the reasons I was promoted to write my testimony was through reading Nancy Leigh DeMoss' book: Brokenness. In her book she shares about the Campus Crusade Revival that took place in the summer of 1995. (I believe I found the link of her talk on youtube. Here's the first part of that talk: Brokenness)

I had never heard of this revival and until last week, was unaware of how this revival indirectly effected me!

During my junior year of college, at the University of Illinois, I had been living my life for myself. I made poor choices and was not close to God at all during this season. In the summer of 1995 I was at a breaking point, but I didn't realize it.

I spent that summer living at the campus taking summer classes, but on one visit home my sisters and friend went to a party. At this party I had a few drinks and by the time I got back to my parents house I was drunk. When we pulled into the driveway a deep sense of reality hit!

Getting out of the car, I didn't want to go into my parents home. What a shameful, disgrace to my parents. They raised me to know better!

I sat next to my parents garage, unable to face the embarrassment of walking into their home drunk.

I began to sob. The reality of how I had been living my life hit me.

In that moment I heard God, no I didn't hear Him audibly, but He asked me loud and clear: Heather, you need to decide are you going to be hot or cold. Choose now or I will spit you out of my mouth. (Yes, I knew the Word and God used it to convict me deeply!)

Oh the very thought of God "spitting" me from His mouth broke my heart.

The next morning we went to church and there was little graphic in the church bulletin that said, "Draw near to Me" from the book of James. I knew God was speaking to me, He hadn't moved, I had, and I needed to draw near to Him.

I went back to campus that afternoon and in my room that night I sobbed my confessions to the Lord. I asked for His forgivingness and I called my parents and confessed how I had been living my life.

I was washed anew! Praise be to God, my heart had been revived!

It was that point forward I devoured God's Word, I couldn't get enough. My heart was falling in love with God in a brand new way!

When the fall semester started back up, I got involved in Campus Crusade. Little did I know the staff had been part of a revival just about the same time God revived my heart!

No comments: