Monday, March 8, 2010

03/08/10 : Key 5 - Authenic Communication

Life's been a bit of a swirl this last week! I've thought about this post and finally, the house is clean, quite, and I have a few moments to gather my thoughts.

The final key of a healthy relationship is authentic communication. Today I talked to my best friend for 111 minutes...the only reason I know that exact time is my phone keep tract. ;-)

We normally call each other once a week, during nap time and during our afternoon down time. Our conversations always are authentic. I'm so thankful that I can cry with her, laugh with her, get deep with her, and be totally silly with her...all of which I did today! (Thanks Lori!)

We communicate authentically. We are honest, straightforward, encouraging, and challenging.

There's no masks, no pretending, no beating around the bush...we communicate our joys and pains, our hopes and our dreams. We talk about our marriages, our kids, our walk with God, our struggles, our disappointments, and our latest bargain!

Having authentic communication didn't come over night, but was cultivated over a few years of being intentional with our communication.

If you've followed my blog for any length of time you'll know that I love the topic of communication. Drama comes from (in my opinion) people not communicating properly or with intentionality. So having a healthy relationship, void of drama, will require authentic communication!

Of all the five keys of a healthy relationship (selflessness, unconditional acceptance, trustworthy, healthy boundaries, and authentic communication) which is the hardest, which is the easiest...and why?

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

I think healthy boundaries are the hardest but the most important in a friendship, especially with those of the opposite gender. It's easy to communicate authentically to the extreme, but being selfless in a friendship is the hardest. It requires taking your eyes off what you can gain from the friendship onto what God wants you to give.
Thanks for the great post!

Abigail said...

For me, communication is the hardest - especially with my family. I'm a sort of "recluse" communicatively. I tend to just clam up and sort things out in my mind just between me and God - but I know that this is not exactly healthy! God has been working on me in this area, and I know that "He which began a good work will continue it!"

Nina said...

I'm with you Abigail. I have a hard time communicating my feelings. I've been slowly slowly working on it with God's grace. In my family, they are angered easily, when I express my feelings and have direct communication or dismiss my feelings altogether. So, I have a tendency to hold it all in and stew rather than talking with intentions and being authentic.