Sunday, February 28, 2010

02/28/10 - 5 Keys to Healthy Friendship

On Wednesday night I spoke at our local Teen MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group. (Me...who strongly dislikes snow driving...was out in this crazy snow storm that dumped about 5 inches in 2 1/2 hours!)

Anyway, I shared 5 tips of healthy friendships with these young moms. As I talked with the leader we felt that giving these girls some tools to have healthy friendships would make them better moms and friends.

I am going to spend the next few days sharing those keys! I feel like these are healthy keys for any friendship and relationship!

First, we were created for relationships. We're all going to be in relationships, some will be healthy, some will be a challenge, and some will be smothering. We long for emotional closeness, especial us women ;-)

Being able to identify healthy relationships will help us as we navigate the waters of friendships.

The first key, of five keys to a healthy friendship is, selflessness.

Our natural tendency is to be self centered in relationships. Having selflessness is having no concern for ourselves, it's doing what is best for the other person.

We value our friends needs above our own. We have no expectations, but expect to give of ourselves.

When we are with people who are selfless it's down right refreshing! When two people are selfless with each other it can provide for a deeply satisfying friendship.

In college the Lord impressed upon me how selfish I was with friends. I saw how when I was in a conversation I never really listened but was just thinking of what I wanted to say when the person was done. As I began to break this, I found actually listening to my friends brought about greater satisfaction in my friendship!

How easy is it to be selfless with our friends? Is this an area you struggle with?

We'll look at key two tomorrow!

No comments: