Wednesday, January 13, 2010

01/13/10 - The Fallacy Detective

I've recently read The Fallacy Detective by Nathaniel and Hans Bluedorn and was struck by the easy to understand 38 lessons on finding bad reasoning in arguments. As Christians we must be able to defend our faith by being able to detect faulty logic in agurments. This book is written in a way that makes it fun to study logic and I found many of the lessons helpful and insightful.

It's important to grow and use our minds. This book will give you "exercises" at the end of the lesson to help you really grasp the concepts. I would recommend this book for anyone who is hoping to have a better understanding of bad reasoning we encounter every day.

2 comments:

Christina Jen said...

Dear Heather,

I just discovered your blog today and hope to become a regular reader. Thanks so much for sharing your insights. Your book really changed my outlook on life as a teenager. God bless you and your family.

Keep in touch,
Christina

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the review! I remember having a unit like that in High School that was interesting. Now, I wonder how to graciously argue without saying "excuse me, but that's a logical fallacy"?