Monday, January 11, 2010

01/11/10 - Self Control

One of the fruits of the spirit is self-control. Policing oneself can be a very difficult task. As I've been thinking about self-control, I've realized it comes down to an issue of entitlement.

We feel entitled to another piece of cake.
We feel entitled to share that gossip.
We feel entitled to "me" time.
We feel entitled to balk authority.
We feel entitled to have our way.
We feel entitled to have a boy/girlfriend.
We feel entitled to be angry or bitter or unforgiving.
We feel entitled to be rude at those who offend us.
We feel entitled to our things being just as we want them.
We feel entitled to another hour of sleep.
We feel entitled to watch that movie or TV show.
We feel entitled to be mean.
We feel entitled to control others.
We feel entitled to manipulate.
We feel entitled to a divorce.

Basically we live in a culture that feels entitled!

But that's not how the bible calls us to live. We're called to live as slaves to Christ. Dying to our daily desires and wishes. We have no entitlement in the bible!

How I long to live with this type of self-control in my life!

4 comments:

Emma said...

Thank you for this post, Heather. I needed to hear this today.

God bless you!

Julie said...

What is "me" time?

Heather "Paulsen" Patenaude said...

Julie...I hear a lot of moms complain that they never get "me" time.

Nina said...

Wow that was on point for me! I needed to hear that!
And I agree I always hear people(especially mothers) say, "well the problem is I've just been too selfless. I don't put me first."
It makes me cringe a little.

Anywho, I have issues with entitlement myself.