Saturday, January 2, 2010

01/02/10 - Selflessness

I know I've talked about this before, but I feel like it bears repeating.

So often I hear singles lament about being single, but then I watch them live a completely self-centered life. It's all about them!

If you really desire to get married and you want to have a satisfying marriage then you must practice selflessness in your single years. You won't just be able to switch that selfishness off. It will be there, larking in the corner. You'll feel entitled to "me" time and you'll be discontent with when marriage and/or parenthood seems to demand your everything!

Philippians 2:3-4: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others

9 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe that's why it's important to fulfil personal goals while you're single - travel, study, hobbies, employment? I imagine that regret at unfulfilled dreams would make someone resent spouse and children sometimes, particularly if a stay-at-home mother.

Michael said...

Interestingly enough I was just thinking about this earlier yesterday/today. So much of the way we live just gears us towards selfishness, and as you point out it's totally unrealistic for anyone hoping to live for Christ to also live for self.

Christine Ann Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kelly summers said...

very good point! I wish I would have practice this self-discipline prior to getting married, so I 2nd you and encourage singles to do it.

Anonymous said...

I agree - I didn't get rid of enough selfishness and greed before getting married. Now, with a child, even more selfishness is required. Ask God to show you where you're selfish and to bring you to deep repentance. He is faithful.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

All I know is that before marriage and kids, our goal was to finish school, marry and live for a month in Hawaii, then get on with our life.

We married our Jr. year in college, couldn't afford a honeymoon in Hawaii so we opted for five days in Wisconsin. Four months later I was pregnant and when my husband graduated I was pregnant with number 2.

Not our plans, all God's plans!

We never made it to Hawaii and even though our 40th wedding anniversary is coming up that's not our first choice for a trip...it's Alaska! And honestly, I have not one regret.

Laura said...

Thanks for the reminder. 32 and single, wanting to be married...seeing other people's selfishness with their time and not my own. It is good to step back a moment and see how I'm living and how that may be perceived by others...not always a pretty picture!

Laura said...

Thanks for the reminder. 32 and single, wanting to be married...seeing other people's selfishness with their time and not my own. It is good to step back a moment and see how I'm living and how that may be perceived by others...not always a pretty picture!