Monday, December 7, 2009

12/07/09 - Life Verse

Do you have a life verse? Something in scripture that speaks to your goals and hopes for your spiritual life?

When I was single my life verse was: 1 Corinthians 7:34b -35:
34.... An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

After I got married this verse no longer spoke to my spiritual goals, so I asked the Lord to give me a new verse. After prayer and reading He lead me to Colossians 3:1-18:

1Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience, 7 and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them.
8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.
9 Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices,
10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him--
11 a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.
12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
18 Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

How about you...do you have a life verse?

7 comments:

sexualchivalry said...

There is a prayer that I adopted several years ago and it has stuck with me ever since. I took the traditional Jesus prayer, but added Psalm 38:9. I pray this several times throughout the day:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
Have mercy on me, a sinner.
You know all the desires of my heart,
And my groaning is not hidden from you.

Adamson said...

I have a very severe case of IBS (irritable bowel syndrom); so much so that the pain will literally bring me to the ground to the point where I can neither speak nor move. It is primarily triggered by foods, or emotions. I used to be afraid and worried about going out in public because I was worried that it would bring me down and I would be humiliated in front of dozens of people. Then I read 2nd Timothy 1:7-
The Lord hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (KJV)
After that, I understood that I couldn't live with fear, and let my IBS control my life. And ironically, fear was an emotion that would cause my IBS to act up on a daily basis. Now, I have very few attacks (roughly 2 per month), and just like it says in the scriptures,
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Derrick said...

Hi! Great verses. I've had a few but Galatians 5:25 is near and dear to my heart lately:

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

Since I've given everything to Christ and my life is led by the Holy Spirit, this verse speaks to me in such a profound way. :)

Great blog! God Bless!

Derrick

Heather Paulsen said...

I accidently deleted this comment:

Robert Colquhoun has left a new comment on your post "11/24/09 - Quotes":

just read your book- great stuff. I liked the story to begin with. when boundaries are down then hearts get broken.

With best regards, from robert
loveundefiled.blogspot.com

Evelyn said...

I have several life verses (my Bible is all colored). I love what Jesus said in Matthew 23:11,12 Tko je najveći među vama, neka vam bude sluga! Tko se uzvisi, bit će ponižen. (The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.)
It remindes me that I`m not only person on the World, that I`m created to help others.

Anonymous said...

There is one verse that stands out to that I would consider my "life verse". It was shared by our pastor at my baby dedication. He didn't really know at the time why he felt God leading him to share that verse, but God knew.

"For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."


That verse is the only thing that has got me through some really tough times, when all I wanted to do was throw up my fist, and shout to the skies "WHY?! WHY ME?!" but through that verse, God has carried me though child hood abuse, and the emotional scaring it has left me. But even through that, God is still faithful to me.

Christine Ericson said...

I couldn't limit myself to a "life verse" however I do have two "life chapters".

My family has always taught me to be the best I can be and Proverbs 31 has helped be leaps and bounds! God took the time to describe what is takes to be a Woman of Worth, and I wholeheartedly want to follow Him.

But the chapter that has brought me comfort when I thought there was none. That gave me hope when I thought all was lost was Ps. 13:

How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, {Having} sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? Consider {and} answer me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the {sleep of} death,And my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," {And} my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken. But I have trusted in Your loving-kindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.