Thursday, November 12, 2009

11/12/09 - Noise

This post may be silly, but it's how my brain works.

At night we run an air filter as white noise in our bedroom. As I was trying to fall asleep I heard this noise coming from the air filter. It was a low humming noise that was rhythmic in nature. All I could hear was that noise. It began to drive me batty.

I got so focused on that humming noise that I could not even fall asleep. I was so tired and just wanted to drift off to visit the sand man, but I couldn't.

As I laid there I began to think about how in life we focus on something that prohibits us from getting other things done. We stay so fixed on this little annoyance we miss out on other things.

After about 20 minutes I was able to fall asleep...but not after realizing I have to stay fixed on what matters most and set aside anything that doesn't really need or deserve my attention!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good reminder...

cortney said...

Love this- its a great analogy! We do tend to get our focus misdirected. Its a really important lesson for each of us- especially if you extend it to finding peace! You couldn't find peace when you were focused on that annoying noise. We, in life, can't find peace when we are focused on the things of this world that are so small in comparison to God's glorious plan!

I used to get frustrated and embarrassed because I felt like my community college education was lame compared to my peers who were attending 4 year schools. I always dodged questions about my future, because I hated telling people that I want to be "Wife and mother". Then I realized that the worlds standards don't matter! When I discovered that God had me in those classes, in that program, in this town, etc for HIS glorious reasons, I was no longer ashamed of the path He has chosen for me!