Saturday, October 31, 2009

10/31/09 - God's Temple

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (emphasis added)

Let those words soak in: you are not your own!

Lately that truth has stuck me in a new way. So often we feel the need to fight for our rights. But in Christ we have no rights. We are His servants, His very temple in which we are to glorify Him. We don't have the right to sin (although we all sin and fall short of His glory).

What does it mean to honor God with our bodies? It encompasses anything we do with our body: what we wear, how we present ourselves, what we eat, how active we are, what we think, and how we keep ourselves pure.

What does this verse mean to you?

4 comments:

Mariel Nonis said...

Dear Heather,
Thank you so much for your posts :) I'm a fan of your book, and I really like your blog as well, which provides great insight and is an easy read. Continue to be a blessing!

My Inner Voice said...

Hah, the material for this Bible quizzing season is 1 and 2 Corinthians.

What does this verse mean to me? well...it means that the Spirit and I have some internal remodeling to do! I want to grow closer to God before I start dating, and I am praying that God will do work in me and through me, especially at school.

Evelyn said...

We, I need to serve God, have Gods name on my mind always, on my lips when I preach to others "lost sheeps". It means not to be so focused on ourselves, to be on our throne instead of Jesus. To thank to Lord in every occasion...

Amy Johnson said...

wow! that was so timely! I had just talked about the topic of us being God's temple at a bible study I co-lead/teach.

To me, it reminds me of how in the old testament, the temple was a place solely dedicated to God. It was not to be desecrated; not be compromised or misused. In the new testament, it says that WE are now THAT temple. And yet, so often, with our words, actions, and dress we deny the importance/significance of the temple. We are to be solely dedicated to God--to what he has called us to, and it doesn't matter...I'll say it again...IT DOESN'T MATTER who you act like when you go to church, or whether you choose to wear a dress or not. We may act like wonderful wives and mothers at church--but we aren't fooling God. He knows when we have spent the morning nagging our husbands (or fathers) and children (or siblings); and to be quited honest, for most people, Sunday mornings are the time when we are THE LEAST patient with others in our households. We get so focused on going to a building made by man, that we TOTALLY forget and DISREGUARD the fact that WE ARE THE TEMPLE. WE are to be/display THE TEMPLE to the world around us. And we have to realize that Sunday's are NOT when we "go" to the temple--THE TEMPLE is WITHIN us, and we are to act like it whether we are sitting in our pews or not.

Amen.