Friday, August 14, 2009

08/14/09 - Jeremiah 8:12a

As I was reading through Jeremiah this week, this verse struck me as a verse that applies to our culture today:

8:12a
Were they ashamed when they committed abomination?
No, they were not at all ashamed;
they did not know how to blush.

Have we become like this? Are we desensitised to our own abominations against the Lord? Do we see sin as shameful? Do we remember how to blush at things that should not be spoken about in certain settings?

If we're not careful, we can easily become calloused to those things that should make us blush.

2 comments:

LT said...

Wow. Interesting thought and very convicting!

It is so easy to become desensitized to sin. I have found that I will sin and not really think anything of it, but I know that I should be ashamed of the sin that I committed, no matter how small or miniscule. That is where forgiveness comes in as well. :-) Thank you for the great post and the conviction that you have brought upon me!

Elizabeth said...

I missed this post earlier. This verse always gives me goosebumps. Yes, it applies to our culture and also individually, as LT noted. How many times a day do I "shrug" at sin as if it is nothing?