Thursday, July 2, 2009

07/02/09 - To be read in court

Somewhere along the lines I heard or read that you shouldn't put anything on the Internet you wouldn't want to be read in a courthouse.

That has stuck with me and when I blog or Facebook I think, "Would I want this to be read or seen in court?"

Many in our society blog or spend time on Facebook/Twitter and I wonder at times, "If that was to be read in a court, with a judge and jury, what would be the fate of that person."

We have an open society where people think the Internet is a place to be honest and free, but we as believers have a "court" of people watching. They are looking at your life and wonder if being a Christian really makes a difference.

So often you can't tell the difference between the status up-date of a Christian or a non-Christian. Or the pictures posted would not show a life set apart.

We are to be in the world and not of the world!

My friend and fellow author Shannon Primicero is in the middle of a series of posts on technology and I love her definition of a "naked Facebooker". Read her blog post here: What is a Naked Facebooker.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I find social networking technology to be invasive and annoying. People - not only kids and teens, but grown-ups who should know better - seem to lack a sense of discretion about what they present online to the general public. "Think before you speak" applies even more on the internet than face to face. Stuff posted in the heat of anger or some other strong emotion can come back to haunt you, even years after the event.
Among teenagers, in my country at least, social networking sites have become a tool of gossip, bullying and harrassment, at times resulting in the suicide of the victimised person/s.