Tuesday, May 5, 2009

05/05/09 - Christian Etiquette

When I was a waitress in college at Cracker Barrel the waitresses thought very little of Christians. Why, you ask? Well, it was known that if a family prayed before a meal that you'd get a little tip (10% or less).

I would cringe inside when other waitress would bemoan having a "Christian table".

What would make it worse is when they'd pray and then be demanding, complaining, and down right annoying (trust me I had my fair share of these tables) then they'd leave a small tip with a track on how to become a believer.

It would make me want to run out to their car and tell them I was indeed a believer and a world is watching...so have better etiquette!

Do we take into account how we are speaking LOUDLY our beliefs with our actions? We, as Christians, need to be different! Sure, there are bad waitresses out there who give bad service, but how we handle it can be honoring to Christ.

Think about all the people who are "watching" us....waitresses, check-out clerks, bank tellers, over the phone sales people, receptionists, guest relationships staff and medical personal. What impression do you want to leave? Do you want to leave people with an taste of experiencing Christ?

10 comments:

Giancarlo said...

That is so true Heather. Thanks for reminding me that.

God Bless

Julie said...

It's so sad when people who call themselves followers of Jesus behave like the religious hypocrites he so often spoke out against.

Liana said...

Great post! I agree (and was also a server at Cracker Barrel while in school). Hope you're doing well!

Luke said...

Totally.

That's why I have made it a habit to leave a huge tip. Someone has to change the tide, and that someone can start with me.

~Luke

Elizabeth J. said...

I have heard the same thing about this and it deeply disturbs me.

Katie said...

Wow, I was just thinking of how routine and meaningless the "Christian before-meal prayer" has become, but I had no idea that other people noticed!

Julie said...

Questions from an ignorant foreigner (tipping is not the norm in NZ): What's the deal with tipping? Is is obligatory? Are service staff not paid very well?

Bob said...

Great Post Heather. My wife will love to hear it if she has not already. The seeds of contentment are sewn with chit chat like that. I'm saddened at how I'm rememebering I behaved in the past and must do better in the future. I will do better in the future.

Heather Paulsen said...

Julie,

Here in america wait staff make less than most people, so it is a standard to tip at leat 15% of the total of the bill.

Evelyn said...

I didn`t known that, for tips. I live in Croatia, and never have seen that someone leaves tips because thay are Christians. Although I`ve never been with Chriatians on lunch or dinner, only coffe.