Tuesday, April 28, 2009

04/28/09 - Issues

We all deal with "issues". Issues of unforgiveness, doubt, fear, and a host of other emotions that keep us from experiencing freedom and peace that Christ came to bring. Often these issues keep our minds locked up in self-focus and turmoil.

I've been asked over the years how to let go of these issues and although I am no expert on this, I do recommend this simple formula. It has helped me and others I've shared it with.

First, search scripture and find specific scriptures that relate to your issue. Put these verses on note cards and post them around your house, carry them with you, and memorize them. Get them in your brain!

Second, when your issue comes up in, repeat those verses, pull out your cards, and read them, say them over and over to yourself. Use scripture to combat whatever issue you have.

After a car accident in 2000, I struggled with panic attacks. I can't tell you how often I'd say, "Fear not for I am with you." It always helped me through those panic attacks and eventually I stopped having them.

Finally, pray and ask God to make you sensitive to when you are struggling with the issue and ask that He gives you a heart to fully let go.

I hope this helps!

1 comment:

Agnes said...

Oh goodness.. posting twice in last few days.. thank you so much for this post. I am struggling with envy / rivalry / jealousy issues and just yesterday was searching for related verses to help me! What a confirmation that I'm on the right track!