Friday, April 10, 2009

04/10/09 - Surrender

I received this comment:

"Lately, I am thinking about life, suffering and loss, about letting go of dearest hopes and dreams (such as a Christian family), as I face news (all around me) like earthquakes, financial failure, loss of job, home, loss of all earthly possessions, death of a (newly-wed) husband, death of family members.

What would it be like to be "emotional pure" for the rest of your life, as a single Christian woman (probably never getting married)? How can you really surrender all your desires and dreams to God and be really happy, being at peace with all kind of life-losses and suffering?I would really appreciate some practical wisdom on that - something to really put into practice (daily real life)."

When I read this, my first thoughts were of Nancy Leigh DeMoss. Nancy is 50 years old and recently at a taping of her radio program my mom heard her say that God has never released her to even go on a date. She models a life of being emotionally pure, through her 20's, 30's, 40's, and now into her 50's. Her life is poured out before God, serving Him, and His children.

She has written a book called Surrender: The Heart God Controls and the title says it all...the heart God controls.

I know you're looking for some practical, daily tips on how to surrender those dreams, but as the description of the book says, "The answer lies in our devotion to Jesus." How does your day reflect your devotion to our Lord and Savior? Does He get the best of your thoughts and time?

Nancy may have better tips on how to surrender the desire for marriage. There was a time in my life I was completely content single, but God brought me a mate and blessed us with children, so I've not walked 30 plus years of being single.

Yes, this world is filled with pain, sorrow, and heartache...but as my husband recently reminded me, "This world is not my home, I'm just passing through!" Someday we'll look back at our short time here on earth and realize it was all so small compared to eternity with the Lord. We have to put on those eternal glasses and know we're not made for this world!

Hope this helps!

3 comments:

Daughter of Vision said...

I have heard so many things about being pure and remaining pure, but I have never thought about being emotionally pure. I love your take on it. This is a very thought provoking concept. Thank you for your work.

Rut said...

Dear Heather,
thank you. It does help. at least, me personally, because I remind myself ot the Life Principle "God is the Lord of my life, so surrender is in place for me in every situation" facing difficult situations.
I was wondering about teaching this Principle in practical ways, to other women in suffeing, pain and difficult situation. Would you say to them that if they are "upset with God" for certain life suffering, they don't really love God for Who he is (not being a paid lover), their heart is not controlled by God and not surrended to Him?

As an example of mindset, grieving, and "changed relationship to God" see the blog of a young widow - http://southeastcountrywife.blogspot.com/.
What would you say to her to help and bring the genuine change in her heart (the one a human being can hope to bring)?
Thanks.
R

Julie said...

The best approach I have found is to find joy in the small things, live day by day, and trust God with the future and its unknown details. Jesus sums it up best in Matthew 6:34 - "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."