Friday, March 27, 2009

03/27/09 - What was my purpose?

When I first wrote (back in 1999) Emotional Purity I remember my dad asking me, "What is your purpose in writing this book? What do you hope people gain from reading it?"

I didn't take me too long to answer.

My goal wasn't to change the world or make everyone believe I thought that I had all the dating answers. My goal was simple: I wanted to make people pause and examine how they treat the opposite sex.

That's it!

We live in a culture that we can't escape. It's like the air we breath, we can't help but be effected by it. As Christians we are foolish to the world, we make no sense...and that's okay! But often we are so effected by the culture that we start sifting our actions through the world standard and not God's.

As God convicted me of emotional purity in my own life, I saw how easy it was to choose the world way of doing "dating". I saw how self satisfying it was to have your ego stroked in casual friendship relationships. It became evident to me how easily I could use a guy to try (without success) to satisfy what only a deep, meaningful relationship with God could do.

I didn't set out to change the world, but to hope and pray people would pause and made sure their filter was lined up with God's filter.

2 comments:

Sigma said...

I actually just finished reading your book about an hour ago and was so extremely challenged and encouraged throughout every page. God used it to convict me of many things and some of them I didn't even realize I was doing! So many times I found myself laughing out loud at how perfectly your own thoughts or feelings were mirroring my own. I have such a long way to go! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this book. I made some decisions today about emotional purity and know that God has a plan for my life. I just have to step out of the way and let Him fulfill it.

Chrystal

Sigma said...

I actually just finished reading your book about an hour ago and I found it extremely challenging throughout every page. God used it to convict me about quite a few things. (some of which I didn't even realize I was doing!) So many times throughout the book I found myself laughing out loud at your thoughts and feelings because of how perfectly they mirrored my own. Sometimes it just downright hard to wait, but thank-you so much for taking the time to write the book. I made some decisions today about emotional purity and I know that God has a plan for my life. I just have to step out of the way and let Him fulfill it.

God Bless!
Chrystal