Thursday, March 19, 2009

03/19/09 - Drama

I have always disliked dramas...movies, TV shows, drama in real life! It's annoying to me!

When I was younger my mom was "addicted" to soap operas. (Sorry if that is embarrassing mom!) I remember watching some with her and becoming so frustrated with the people and their drama. My mom stopped watching when I was 8 or 9, so I couldn't have been too old when I had these feelings.

I remember thinking, "If so and so would just tell so and so what is really going on their be no tension!" Isn't this what creates drama in our lives?!? When there is a lack of communication between two people they are each left up to decided what the other person is thinking, feeling, or why they are doing something they are doing.

Whenever I find myself trying to figure out someones motives, I realize this just creates drama! Thus I am a "communication junkie". With those I am close enough too, I can talk about almost anything and work through most issues without any drama.

I know teenagers feel like life is one big drama. But it doesn't have to be that way...communication is the key to working through issues without drama. When you know, and I mean really know, what someone is thinking, it can help create no drama.

Does drama annoy you?

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YES. On television shows. I hate when the whole episode revolves around one lie that keeps getting bigger and bigger, like the characters pretending they didn't break something or that they broke up with someone when they actually didn't. In real life it doesn't seem as bad, but I hate when two people I love are holding a grudge against each other.

I'm not always willing to be the one to bring up a sensitive topic, but I am trying to do better at stopping miscommunication before it goes any further, so that I won't have to sit around overanalyzing and wishing I had said something earlier.

Mary Kay Meyer said...

Yes!! I have 4 daughters and 2 of them are drama QUEENS! I am trying to teach them to break down the problem and then it will not seem so overwhelming! Your website is awesome! I am glad I stumbled on to it. Keep up the great reads.

Mary Kay

Liana said...

I love the point you make about communication being key. A certain friend of mine always ASSUMES she thinks she knows what is going through my head or how I'll react to something she tells me - and makes a whole dramatic mess out of things that really don't need to be.

Esther Zimmerman said...

Great post!

Katie said...

Since we're communicating our feelings, I'd like to say that what annoys ME is stereotyping all teenagers as those who think that life is one big drama.

Heather Paulsen said...

Sorry Katie...didn't mean to offend! I sometimes speak in generals and forget to mention it!

heather

Giancarlo said...

Loved it! Thank you Heather.