Monday, December 15, 2008

12/15/08 - Purity with others




Today I am the host of "At the Well". Please feel free to join the discussion!

One of the qualities a Titus 2 woman is to posses and pass along is the quality of being pure. The Greek word used is: hagnos, which means:

Pure from every fault
Clean
Free from sin
Innocent

Often we think of physical and emotional purity when we hear the word pure, but how does this play out in our relationship with others? How do we have a pure conscience with others?

God has been impressing upon my heart lately the need for me to walk in such a way I never fear "being caught". How does this play out in my life?

Well, I'll be painfully honest. A few months back someone shared something with me. In casual conversation, I shared it with someone else. It involved a family conflict and one party had no idea the other party felt that way.

I knew as soon as I said it, I shouldn't have said it! (Anyone know this awful feeling?!?) The second party told me that they were going to confront the person who originally told me this and I asked that they don't use my name.

After I hung up the phone, my heart was pricked. I felt God say, "Own up to it, Heather. You said it, now pay the consequence of speaking when you should have been silent." Ouch!

So I called right back and told the second party to use my name if they need to. That was not an easy conversation.

Later I called the first party and explained what had happened and asked for forgiveness.

This to me was living my life with a pure conscience before God and man. It meant that I could look at both parties involved and know that, although I should have avoided the gossip, I may the situation right and took ownership of my role. There was great freedom in this honesty.
Had I not dealt with this in my life I'd have shame and guilt anytime I saw these friends. There would be an uncomfortableness on my side. I would not have a pure conscience with them!

In the devotional book: Seeking Him, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss on page 149 there is this quote: A clear conscience means to have no unconfessed sin between you and God.

As Titus 2 women we are called to live our lives in such a way that we are free from sin. This would include, as Paul shared in Acts 24:16 "So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man"


What are ways we exhibit this type of purity in our relationships with others?

What are some of the roadblocks we run into when having a "clear conscience" with God and man?

Would you like to share a story of how God has called you to have a pure conscience and the outcome of your obedience.


5 comments:

Joyfull said...

Thank you for sharing a beautiful truth about purity. Thank you also for being open and honest through this trial, freedom was found. This promises to be a powerful topic today and I am looking forward to this day At the Well!

LAURIE said...

What a great post on purity. Thanks for sharing. I didn't get to participate this week ... I didn't see the topic and questions ahead of time, but I have linked on my blog today to you. -Blessings, Laurie

Marcia Wilwerding said...

Thank you so much, Heather, for sharing your own struggles with this. Unfortunately, I can totally relate. God bless you for your work and labor of love to the body of Christ.

chakia said...

That was a timely post for me. Thanks for sharing. I strive to have a pure conscience toward God and man. That is definitely a challenge because it's sometimes hard for me to go to certain people to apologize for offending them (sometimes without them knowing that I said something about them to someone else). God's strength is needed most in those times!

Brooke said...

You are such a wonderful role model. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing!