Wednesday, December 10, 2008

12/10/08 - Throwing off

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

What sin is clinging closely to you?

Discontentment
Anger
Bitterness
Impurity
Unforgiveness
Envy

We are called to lay aside these weights. They weigh us down. They cling to us! Keep us bogged down with earthly things.

When you're swimming and someone is weighing you down, you can't move freely to swim. It's frustrating to not be fluent in your movement.

That's what sin is in our spiritual life.

How do we get rid of the weighty, clingy sins in our lives?

Look to Jesus! Practically, what does that look like in daily life?

For example if I am working through forgiveness, I get into scripture, I write it on 3x5 cards, and I read it all day long! When I find myself going over the situation in my head, I stop my thoughts dead in their tracks, and I meditate on God's word.

I look to Jesus, or as it says in the NASB, "fixing our eyes on Jesus." I make every effort to put all my energy into Jesus and not whatever sin is weighing me down!

Today if you find yourself with some clingy sin, throw it off, and fix your gaze upon the only One who can make a difference!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Great Blog! I just found it today and it's exactly what I needed to hear! God bless you!
Caroline