Saturday, November 29, 2008

11/29/08 - Teachable

My dad is a wise man! I am thankful that he gave me many nuggets of wisdom to "chew" on as I prepared for marriage.

There were three qualities that my dad said were essential in looking for a mate. Over the next three blog posts I will share what those are, but for today we'll start with the first one: teachable.

(I will say that these qualities are aside from our future husband's walk with the Lord. That, of course, was the utmost important thing to find in a mate!)

This morning as I was reading the Proverbs of the day, I started with this verse in Proverbs 29:1 "He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing."

I stopped and meditated on this verse. This describes someone who is not teachable and is stuck in their ways. The outcome of not being teachable is quite frightening, to say the least!

What does being teachable look like? For starters, it is a man who is able to take advice or seek out counsel. He doesn't think that there is just one way for something to happen, but is willing to see something from another perspective. He doesn't get easily frustrated when things don't go exactly how he wants them to go.

This is a quality you can observe in someone that you are just friends with. You don't have to become emotionally attached to someone to see if they are teachable or not. This is also a quality to be working on yourself! Because in marriage it is all about being teachable and selfless!

1 comment:

MInTheGap said...

The antithesis of this was Pharaoh-- God tried many times to get him to see the error of his ways, but with each step, Pharaoh chose to harden his heart until he had to be broken.

Teachable to me also carries the idea of being able to learn. He doesn't keep doing that which he was always doing when it didn't turn out right the last time.

A good quality indeed.