Monday, November 24, 2008

11/24/08 - Does emotional purity mean no pain?

Are you sold on the idea of emotional purity because you fear being hurt? Or because you've been hurt in the past and there is no way you're going to let that happen to you again?

Although I believe, in the long run, practicing emotional purity will save you heartache, should this be the number one reason people strive for it in their life? I don't think so.

We don't obey and follow God's call to just avoid pain or hurt. At times God will use our deepest hurts and pain to draw us closer to Him. He will make Himself more alive in our hearts when we're "walking through the valley of the shadow of death".

When I think of some of the greatest lessons I've learned in my walk with God, they haven't come from the happy, rosy moments of life, but the heart breaking and painful moments. It's in times like these that we come face to face with out own humanity, our own sin, and our own fragility.

So don't cling to the concept of emotional purity to just avoid pain. Cling to the concept of purity for the glory of God!

3 comments:

Giancarlo said...

Amen Heather.

God bless you

ladyakofa said...

I think choosing to be emotional pure actually involves some pain and effort, because it requires DISCIPLINE in my thoughts and allowing God to reign in my emotions. And discipline doesn't come easy for me.

Julie said...

Life contains enough inevitable frustration, disappointment and pain without additional suffering caused through one's own unwise decisions, especially in the area of romantic relationships. In my own experience, the hardest person to forgive can be oneself. While emotional purity should not be pursued solely for the avoidance of pain, this can be one of its significant benefits.
Aren't we called to be "as wise as serpents and as gentle as doves"?