Wednesday, November 5, 2008

11/05/08 - Pro-Life Movement

As I laid in bed last night, feeling defeated and saddened, my thoughts turned to those millions of babies who have died because they were unwanted.

Now some of you may feel like the abortion issue is just one issue and there are many facing our nation. Many of you feel like the right man is now firmly in office and although he doesn't agree with my (or your) position on abortion, that he is the man to take us where we need to go.

Let me share, very frankly, why my heart breaks for those babies and why this issue is so important for me. Then I'll share what we can do these next four years.

When I was 10 weeks pregnant with our first baby, I miscarried. It was awful, tragic, and emotionally painful, but the night that our baby died, I held its little body in the palm of my hands. Its hands and feet were formed. I could see its heart, spine, eyes, mouth, nose, ears, and all its fingers and toes. We wept as we held our baby and cried out to God for His peace and comfort.

That night, through my emotional and physical pain, my thoughts turned towards the millions of babies who are ripped from their mothers at that same stage. Many are told that before the end of the first trimester that it's not a baby and it's not a big deal to abort that baby at that stage. But as I looked at that perfectly formed tiny body, my heart hurt for all those babies. I became very impassioned about this issue, in a way I had not experienced before.

So last night as the new President was announced, I wept for those babies who have lost their voice for the next four years. I thought of Proverbs 31:8 (Words of a mother to her king): "Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute."

I also began praying fervently for the new President. I pray that the pro-life movement loses NO ground in the next four year and that the mighty hand of God will be moving the hearts of the President, Senate, and Congress. I ask you to join me in prayer for our nation. This is our most powerful weapon and this is what we can do over the next four years!

We can also make sure that the bans and laws in place, stay in place. Learn the name of your congress Representative and your state Senator's. Keep their numbers close by and call anytime this issue presents its self.

May God be glorified!

EDIT* Again after I posted I got a timely e-mail. If you'd like to remember to pray for the new President Elect, you can sign up to pray for him the next 77 days till the inauguration. Click HERE!

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

I totally know where you are coming from. I was always pro life, but when I miscarried at 8 weeks with my first baby THAT was when it really became real to me. The little baby was so real and perfect and as I held that baby I just couldn't believe that people would want to kill a little helpless person like that. I felt guilty wondering if I could have done more to save his little life... wondering if he suffered before he died... had nightmares for months. And I decided that abortion and babies were one of my causes. It breaks my heart to know that so many more will have to die just for the rest of America to learn it's lesson.

Phoebe said...

Amen! I've been trying to give the fear I've felt since I heard the election results over to God. I pray that God won't turn away from America, and that there won't be any lost ground in the pro-life battle or any of the other crucial ethical issues facing us now.

Brenda said...

Dare I ask the question that burns in my heart, without being branded as unChristian, or at least a left-leaning liberal? Did any of your hearts break for the Iraqi people who have been killed as the result of our war on terror? Because many of them are innocent, too, and now have no more opportunity to hear and believe the truth. I am pro-life, but believe that it extends far beyond the issue of abortion. I have also miscarried babies and felt the overwhelming grief of those losses. I'm looking forward to meeting my babies in heaven, to find out who they are and get to know them. I miss them every day, even though they would now be in their mid-20's. And I rejoice over my healthy grown son, who was such an obviously determined gift of God's grace.

Obama has stated clearly that he has placed his faith in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. (See the Christianity Today interview with him.) So let's pray for God's leading and blessing, since God has placed him in authority for such a time as this.

Ann said...

I did lose some sleep last night, worrying about all that may come in the next four years. But Pastor Ken's sermon & the Word of God became my comfort and I finally did fall asleep- God is in control. While I will be praying that our worst fears don't come to pass, I do also realize that Jesus said that we will have many trials in this life. If we look at church history and the extreme Christian persecution that still takes place in other parts of the world, America has had it pretty easy and maybe this is the time that God has decided to expose the Christians in America to what other believers have had to endure for centuries. Only God knows. But that is my comfort today, that God knows! He cannot be silenced and neither can the message of Jesus Christ's death and ressurection. Whatever comes to pass let us stay true to our Saviour. He is faithfull to keep us till He calls us to himself.

Arne said...

Brenda, I too am sadden by the loss of innocent lives. Hundreds of thousands of people died at the hand of Saddam Hussein’s reign of terror in Iraq. I am proud of our American Troops for putting an end to his reign of terror. No one knows how many lives were saved from our action in Iraq. I do not like the price we pay to end such terror and killing but I would feel less comfortable sitting on the sidelines watching Saddam continue to kill innocent people. There are no good answers only difficult decisions. To the Iraqis that died, Saddam was a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Brenda said...

Arne, I too am proud of our troops -- not only American, but Canadian and British, as well as others. We have a nephew currently in Afghanistan, and my family in particular has a long military history. I am not arguing that good has been done there -- I'm thrilled to hear of the freedoms for education and health care that are happening.

My point is simply that we need to hold all life as sacred, not just the lives of the pre-born.

We need to not park the ambulances at the bottom of the cliff by only working to outlaw abortion -- that only saves some lives anyway, as it drives the abortion industry underground. We, as Christ's church, need to be the church. We need to love those women who feel they have no better alternative than to not carry that little one to term -- and that includes an incredible number of married Christian women sitting in the pews every Sunday. We need to be the church by blowing the whistle on abuse in our homes, in our churches, in our parsonages. We need to not condemn, but to seek to understand and help.

For too much of the hurting world, the church has also become a weapon of mass destruction. We're called to extend God's unconditional love and grace, and we need to step up to that call.

arcee said...

our thoughts about children need to be shaped biblically even before matters of conception. it has been easy to think we should have authority over how many children we have, when we have them, etc. it's fine to plan and to have desires, but we must always remember to submit that agenda to the Lord and then be willing to let Him do what He sees fit. it bothers me that many people have come to see children as an interruption to an otherwise 'productive' and 'successful' life. pro-life is more than caring for the unborn. it is also living a life that demonstrates that God is sovereign, that He designed families and that our lives are about giving Him glory. i can say i'm pro-life (and i am), but in my heart, i deeply struggle with surrendering the future and my ambitions aside from having a family to our great Lord and i know i'm not the only woman in my generation to wrestle with this.

Julie said...

I think if alternative (pro-life) services for women in crisis pregnancy were as confidential, accessible and non-judgemental as the conventional system, perhaps there would be fewer abortions. Is funding the key to this?

Heather Paulsen said...

Julie,

In our area we have Care Net Pregnancy Centers, these are places for women pregnant can come and receive counseling and an ultrasound.

We pray for less abortions through this ministry.