Tuesday, November 4, 2008

11/04/08 - Our Election

Of course everyone is talking or thinking about the election today. My feelings is that we're all collectively holding our breath to see the outcome of this election (not that we'll even know tonight!)

On yet another blog I read: "If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

After reading this on a couple of blog, I decided to read the context of this verse this morning. In 2 Chronicles 6 Solomon spends most of the chapter in prayer to God as they dedicate the temple, God's house.

2 Chronicles 7 God responds by consuming the sacrifices, then the temple is dedicated. Then in verse 12 we read that the Lord appeared to Solomon at night and verse 14 is part of what the Lord tells Solomon.

As I think about our nation, I see how far off the mark we are. We abort about 3,000 babies a day. We have a society that has no shame in sin and sexual perversion. The church is filled with people who want grace, but don't couple that with truth. There is corruption on every level of business and government.

Do you think this is the first nation that has strayed so far from God? No, we're not the first, and sadly won't be the last. But God's people can do something about this.

Verse 14 is packed full of action words: humble, pray, seek, and turn. Only then will God hear us from heaven and He has promises for us: forgive and heal.

I take this very personally. I must humble myself, I must pray, I must seek God, and I must turn from my sin in repentance!! Today I've spent most of the day praying. I trust God is fully in control and He will put whom ever He chooses! Whatever He does will be for our good, whether it's a judgement on our nation or a blessing (not that I think any of the candidates is capable of complete blessing on our nation..I guess I should say protection).

May we each turn back fully to God and pray for God's will to be done!

1 comment:

Mrs.C said...

You had a very good post today, and I couldnt agree more....