Monday, November 3, 2008

11/03/08 - Teasing

Are you someone who is always saying, "Oh I am just kidding!"?

When I was younger I used to be very sarcastic and I was always teasing people. One of my common phrases was, "Oh I am just kidding!"

Until I read these verses in the bible:

Proverbs 27:18 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death
19 is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I am only joking!"

Wow!

When I read that I worked very hard and letting the words that come out of my mouth be true, pure, and pleasing. Not careless and rude...but then brush them off with the all covering, "I am just joking!"

(After I posted this blog, I checked my e-mail and I had this message from Nancy Leigh DeMoss in my in box. It's all about controlling our tongues! How timely!)

2 comments:

Daniel Radke said...

Wow! Powerful story...and so true! I know that I personally have used "I'm only kidding" at times after I'd said something mean. I think we all have done that. But we shouldn't! Thanks for sharing this insight!!

Raine said...

I am amazed at this verse in the Bible myself and couldn't believe that God has something very specific to say even about our little jokes and teasings. I do these jokes too, but I am more a victim of them. Ever since I discovered this verse, I often let my friends who play pranks and jokes on me read this verse. Aren't they convicted! Haha. By the way, I have read your book and am greatly blessed.