Monday, September 29, 2008

09/29/08 - Spiritually Dry

Today I am sharing At the Well today. At the well is a group of women who share each Monday some tidbit of godly wisdom to pass on. It's about coming together as Christian women and being Titus 2 women to each other.

When I was asked to be apart of this on-line encouragement I shared that to me, a Titus 2 woman is someone who will encourage another woman on a path she's already been down.

As my week to share has approached the place where I've been is spiritually dry...so I invite anyone who has walked down this path to come to the well, where we shall find water and be dry no longer.

What causes us to have these seasons of dryness in our walk with the Lord? As I just recently walked through a short season of dryness, I spent some time asking the Lord to show me what causes this.

The Lord brought a few key things in my life that cause me to dry up spiritually: Loss of focus, satan attacks, busyness, being tired, laziness, demanding relationships, and plain o' excuses.

I stop being faithful with my quiet time. I forget to listen to praise songs. I let other things: TV, phone, music, and computer crowd out my peaceful walk with the Lord. I allow things to consume my thoughts and time that simply do not belong!

Then blame game begins: These kids keep me so busy! Work is too demanding! My husband just requires so much of me and doesn't lift a finger to help! This community project I am involved with is draining all my extra time and energy. This 2008 election is important and I need to dedicate time studying, listening and reading. My church obligations keep me hopping around four nights a week! School work is insane and if I don't get good grades no college will let me in! This drama with my friends is exhausting! I just don't have anyone to do a bible study with and I need someone to help me understand it!

We can even being to have misdirected (but honorable) priorities:
  • cleaning house
  • reading a book
  • blogging
  • watching or listening to political analysis
  • having people over
  • making a phone call
  • volunteering
  • sports involvement
  • children's extra activities
  • drama
We then begin to wonder why we're walking through a dry season? Our plate are so full and our minds are so crowded we leave no time for peace and stillness before the Lord.

I have a saying, framed and hanging in my dining room, it reads: Make time for quiet moments, as God whispers and the world is loud.

So this short (praise the Lord is was rather short this time) season of dryness I've just walked through reminded me of the utmost importance of my quiet time each day, making sure my top priority is the Lord, not allowing anything to get in the way of time with Him.

We come to the well, a place where Jesus has offered us refreshment. We gather with likeminded believers to rest with Him. We seek Him. We lay aside excuses and we beg for Him to come near to us as we draw near to Him.

If you are at a very dry place, I offer you this song: The More I Seek You, by Kari Jobe.

For those of you who have walked through a season of dryness I ask you:

* Have you noticed a pattern of when you find yourself spiritually dry?

* What do you do to move quickly through that season of dryness?



Make sure you leave your link so we can read your answers!







12 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Great thoughts on spiritual dryness, Heather! Thanks for sharing your heart and for hostessing At the Well this morning. There are things that do tend to dry us up spiritually, but praise God that we do not have to stay that way. I love the quote you have in your dining room! It's so true.

LAURIE said...

Heather, thanks for leading us today AT THE WELL. What a great topic for today. I love the song you mentioned "the more I seek You" - that is the key to coming out of our dry spot - Seeking more of Him. Thanks for sharing today. -Blessings, Laurie

lori said...

What a topic today...we've ALL been there...it's having been in a DRY place that makes us long for what only He can quench...


On an entirely different note, would you be interested in giving away a copy of your book at the CWO Internet Cafe? I co-own the site with Amy Bayliss and we'd love to offer your book as a giveaway...
think and pray about it..you can reach me by email if you need to.

Have a blessed day and thanks for hosting...
peace,
lori

LauraLee Shaw said...

I like the way you walk through the progression on this, and the fact that you mention all the different kinds of things that can take us to the place of spiritual dryness. What a great subject. Thanks for hosting it!

Bia said...

Thank you Heather.
I realized, after reading your post, that I often blame God, or my circumstances for my 'dryness'. However, looking back now, I can clearly see the pattern (and I can relate to some of the same causes as you), of habits that lead me away from 'the well' and into the desert.
Remaining close to God takes discipline and DESIRE. We need to desire to be near Him, or other things WILL pull us away.
I was greatly encouraged today, and it was my first time at The Well.
Thank you.

Kat said...

It is so easy to let other things get in the way of being with the Lord. Thanks for reminding us that even the necessary things of each day can get in the way of time with the Lord if we let them, it is definitely something to be on guard about.

JesusRulzMe said...

Dearest sister Heather,

Thank you so much for hosting the Well today! And thank you for so openly and willingly sharing with us what our gracious Lord has put on your heart.

I'm just coming out of a "dry spell" so this topic truly brings me great comfort today.

Bless you dear sister,
Sunny

P.S. Thank you for sharing the wonderful music video! It blessed me so much I put it on my post today as well!

a woman found said...

Boy you really got me thinking and praying this morning...and coming to that realization that I need Him to quench my thirst every hour!

thanks
sheila

Marcia Wilwerding said...

Thank you, Heather. Not only do I appreciate your post today, I am really glad to find your wonderful blog! Keep up the good work.

Daniel's Mom said...

Thank you for your great thoughts on this post! I find that being tired or "busy" always gets me. If I will just sit,relax,and listen to God,He has so much to tell me. :)

Rebecca said...

Thanks for a great topic. I loved what you had to share. My favorite was, "We come to the well, a place where Jesus has offered us refreshment. We gather with likeminded believers to rest with Him. We seek Him. We lay aside excuses and we beg for Him to come near to us as we draw near to Him." I could just pray this over and over!

Jennifer said...

What a challenge for us, Heather! It's so easy to allow the everyday things crowd out the Lord.

God bless,
Jennifer
http://jennifer-asag.blogspot.com/