Tuesday, September 23, 2008

09/24/08 - Being Emotional

Ah...how many of you women out there think, "Why do I have to be so emotional?" I know at times I wish I could turn off my intense emotions. Especially, when I was single and I struggled with desiring a boyfriend.

My emotions would play tricks on me! I'd over analyze everything little thing a guy friend would do! I'd go over and over and over again what he said, what he did, how he looked at me, how he interacted with me, and when I would be with him again (This normally included me trying to figure out how I could make sure we'd spend time together!)

My mind was an ever present emotional roller coaster! Up, down, corkscrew, up, up and whoosh...down again! I felt like all I could do was strap in and hang on!

Then God revealed to me the beauty of emotional purity. The power of the Holy Spirit in my thought life! When I began to practice emotional purity in my life, it freed my mind. I was no longer controlled by my emotions! I got off the roller coaster and stood firmly on God's foundation!

Was I still an emotional woman? Of course!! But my emotions did not control me and I would keep my thoughts captive for Christ. I'd focus on Him and what He wanted for me, which wasn't spending hours upon hours thinking, daydreaming, fantasizing, about guys in my life or the desire for a boyfriend.

God showed me the purity of trusting Him fully with my emotions!

What is your testimony? Where are you on this roller coaster? Are you waiting in line, riding it, wish you were off, or walking on firm foundation of trust?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent post...I've been struggling a lot recently with being emotional and just getting aggravated with my out of wack emotions and then God reminds me that emotions are good but rather what I do with them that are not glorifying to him. That take captive every thought verse in 2 corinthians has been so helpful, and a good reminder to give it all over to him and rest in his timing. Thanks!

Julie said...

Song of Solomon 2:7, 3:5
Young women of Jerusalem, swear to me by the gazelles or by the does in the field that you will not awaken love or arouse love before its proper time.

Taffy said...

Great post indeed.Just what I need. I have currently developed feelings for a friend and realised that my emotions were going out of control.I was beginning to concetrate on his every move, which girl he is talking to, what he said, the compliments he's passed and being so self conscious .Now I realise how pure my emtions have to be and that I am the master of my emotions they do not have to master me.God bless you

Amanda said...

I cannot believe how appropriately this post fit into how I'm feeling right now! Thank you so, so much for writing this!! Julie, I like the part of the verse about there being a "proper time" for love...thanks for the reminder!

Lydia said...

Wow! I'm definitely riding that roller coaster right now! I've been struggling with feelings for someone and its only made it worse that I found out he feels the same way about me. I'm trying to get control of my emotions and I really want to stay emotionally pure but I'm really having a hard time!

Anonymous said...

I know this is a late comment, but I wanted to share with you that I, too, have struggled with the emotional roller coaster. (I'm a girl,of course!!) My current problem is when I meet someone new and wondering if he might be the one. I seem to over-analyze what he might be thinking, etc. and have a real hard time bringing my thoughts away. I'm still trying to figure out how to properly take every thought captive. Any quick insights???

Jessica Bernhardt
jessicanicole7@aol.com

Rachel said...

I love your blog!