Wednesday, August 13, 2008

08/13/08 - Finishing Well

I recently had a conversation with a friend about finishing well in our lives. In our life we are watching a person who is not finishing the end of his life well. He is making poor choices and not resolving issues that need to be resolved.

We talked about how we (all people) didn't choose our parents, our childhood, or certain situations in our life, but we are in control of how we respond. Do we choose to let the past dictate our future, our current relationships, our walk with the Lord, and our over all attitude? Or have we released, let go, sought peace and resolution, forgave and dealt with whatever needs to be dealt with in order to run with perseverance.

(Again I think of Hebrews 12 verse 1b: let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us)

I look at this man and pray and mourn for not finishing well. For not walking through the "winter" season of his life with dignity, integrity, and boldness for Jesus.

How about you? Most of you are a long way off from finishing your time on earth, but do you think about how you want to finish this race well? What can help you now finish well?

3 comments:

Noelle said...

I am watching my grandmother come to the end of her life, and just now she is dealing with 60 years of anger and bitterness.

It's a wake-up call to us: keep short accounts with God... forgive and forget... to make our hearts right before him on a daily basis... to put away anger and malice.

Anonymous said...

When I think of finishing well, I think of leaving am amazing testimony when I'm gone... A testimony that doesn't bring me honor, but brings God glory. I think of others being convinced that I had a strong, deep, continual FAITH in God, and never despaired through any circumstance, because I was so close to Him. I think of them seeing CHRIST in me, and pray that even on my deathbed I would shine with love for my Savior and perfect peace in my heart, realizing I lived a full life poured out for my family, church family, and friends.

And how can I prepare to finish my life this way? Draw closer to my Savior, let His Spirit rule my life, practice true love, compassion, mercy, and a servant's heart, exercise my faith in my Sovereign God.... the list could go on!!
May God's grace be upon me, enabling me to finish well!!
Jessica Bernhardt

Sharon said...

One thing I thought while reading this post was how I have to do well now to, persevere in every moment to the end. But also, I take this as a word from the Lord, because finishing well is something I really have to remember right now :-)