Wednesday, August 6, 2008

08/06/08 - Facebook Witness

I am on Facebook, are you? It's a fun way to keep up with family and friends and it's been a great way to reconnect with some old friends: childhood friends and college friends. I love looking at pictures and getting updates!

But, my pet peeve with Facebook is that it allows non-Christians to see a "Christian" living a life just like themselves.

I am not picking on any one person, but when the religion says: Christian, and the page is filled with the same topics, images, language, and garbage as the rest of the world, you know what they say about Christians: What a bunch of hypocrites! And I for one am tried of being called a hypocrite!

So if you're on Facebook and your religion says: Christian, then here's your options:

A) Make sure your page reflects what that means. It means your set apart from the world. In the world, but not of the world.

B) Remove the title of Christian if your Facebook page doesn't reflect that commitment to Christ. This way you don't tarnish the name of Christ. You don't dishonor Him and people who are watching will not have a reason to call Christians hypocrites.

C) Radical overhaul your Facebook page and make a fresh commitment to Christ to honor Him in all you do, say, respond, and think!

Again, I plead with you, stop giving a watching world reason to think that Christians are no different then the lost, hopeless, godless world!

12 comments:

Megan said...

I would have to agree. I have been personally astounded by some of the pictures on friends' facebooks, but especially the sex-laden bumper stickers. Sheesh! I like bumper stickers just fine, but I think people should be a little more selective on which ones they allow on their site. :/

Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady" said...

You are so right. Facebook is one of the things that God used in my life to place in my heart a burden for young people as I saw that what they put on there is really no different than someone who does not know God. It is very revealing as to what is going on within their hearts, isn't it? I may must link this article to my site!

tynanfamily said...

Yes, I agree totally. This kind of thing has burdened me to pray for my Christian brothers and sisters.

tynanfamily said...

Yes, I agree. This kind of thing makes me so sad.

tynanfamily said...

Thank you for this post. It makes me sad for my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Narelle Worboys said...

Yeah! You say it, girl!

Luke said...

I'm on Facebook, but I purposefully do not label myself as "Christian." I'd much rather have people find out about my beliefs from interacting with me than simply reading a self-labeled title and assuming something about me. Far too many people call themselves Christian and don't really have any interest in being Christ-like.

On the other hand, your post begs the question: What should a Christian's Facebook page look like? That question isn't easily answered.

~Luke

Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady" said...

Maybe the question shoudn't be "what should a Christian's facebook look like." Maybe is should be "is there anything on my facebook profile that would not bring glory to God, or that is in direct opposition to the standards of God's holy Word? Is there anything on there that might be offensive to others or to God?" It's not THAT hard to figure out, really!

Anonymous said...

I've had Facebook, and I was disgusted by the profiles of some of the girls at my church. I know them as sweet Christians, but they allow so much garbage. I try to keep it clean and remember Christianity and my name is associated with whatever I put on it.

LH

arcee said...

a Facebook profile provides the opportunity to either create a persona or to attempt to reflect who i am if you spent time with me face-to-face. so, to some degree, a Facebook account is one way to reveal where my heart and mind are at. the problem doesn't begin with Facebook, but it can manifest itself there.

it's a good idea to consider what kind of witness/role model you are through your Facebook page.

simplysanctified said...

Amen! That needed to be said!!

Julie said...

I don't have a profile on any site like Facebook, Myspace or Bebo. I prefer to keep my personal life private. Having an online diary illustrated by copious photographs loaded with identifiable detail can have unforeseen consequences. For example, bad-mouthing your boss in your blog may cause you to be fired. Some people don't really think through what personal information they post on the internet. Once it's out there, there's really no taking it back - just like the contents of Pandora's box.
I wonder whether the combination of cellphone cameras/video and social networking sites has eroded people's sense of privacy.