Tuesday, July 29, 2008

07/29/08 - Influences

I just read: Chats with an old lady (Gina) blog today. Her question was stemmed from attending The Rebelution Tour about who are your companions.

I'd suggest you read her blog, but I wanted to share a couple of thoughts.

Many people tell me how hard emotional purity is lived out in life. They struggle with really waiting and not having a desire to date before they're ready to get married and God brings the person for them. They share how truly giving up this area of their life seems completely impossible!

I'd recommend that you look at who you are spending time with. Are they other men and women with the same vision? Are they seeking to lay down dating to purse God? Are they trusting God fully with their future?

Gina said at the conference one the Harris' said it's not just who you spend time with, but what you watch on TV, what you read, and what you listen to.

Are you reading romance novels that keep your head always in the "la la land of marriage"? Are you watching TV shows were pre-marital sex is glorified or where the main characters are always bouncing from one relationship to the next? Maybe you're listening to music that talks about broken hearts, love, and be dissatisfied with not having someone.

If you're struggling with maintaining emotional purity, examine what you're allowing to influence you!

Thanks Gina for a great post!

2 comments:

Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady" said...

Hi! Thank you for linking to this article. I join you in your mission to promote emotional purity! I came away from the conference with an ever great burden to challenge women in this area. I am even more determined than ever to "kick it up a notch" and boldly challenge women to glorify God in all areas of their lives. The consequences of not doing so are so tragic, and we are seeing women around us "dropping like flies" into bad relationship, bad marriages,and bondage! ...and they hardly even notice it !! I appreciate all you share! Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

It is so true that what we allow to influence us causes most of our emotional purity problems - and we don't even realize it. Or maybe we do but just deny it because we "enjoy" living in our flesh and want to justify it. I know its a big temptation for me to read romance or watch it, but I've purposed not to because of what it does to my heart: I no longer feel content in singleness and just want to be married NOW!! Instead I need to fill myself with things of the Spirit, worship and adore my Savior, and keep my eyes focused on Him. Thanks for posting this - it is the TRUTH, and women need to hear it and be convicted on what they're letting into their lives and the damage its doing to their hearts and souls!

Jessica Bernhardt
Harvard, IL