Thursday, June 5, 2008

06/05/08 - Narelle Worboys (Part 3)

I tried to post this yesterday, but my small laptop would not allow me to open up the interview in Word! Oh well, I have a lot on my mind I hope to share in the next couple of days, but I am headed to a convention where I'll be speaking!

Here's the third part of my interview with Narelle from NZ!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How would you like to encourage others to really enjoy being single?

What I didn’t have through my teens was practical vision and purpose (i.e. neither my parents nor I could produce a husband out of a hat, so getting married at 18 wasn’t a practical purpose). That’s what I have now, and I think it’s what has made the difference in being comfortable with myself and my situation.

Surprisingly, having this vision and purpose doesn’t mean I’ve got the next 2, 5, or 10 years mapped out. What it means is that I know why I’m here, I know what I’m getting up for in the morning, I know how to conduct myself through the day (or night – I have odd sleeping hours), and I can look back on my day and recognize what was worthwhile. As a lively perfectionist with dreams of changing the world, it was a long time before I understood that folding laundry and delivering it to my parents’ room was valuable and worth doing wholeheartedly! In a word, my raison d’ĂȘtre is to SERVE, something on which I scored very low as a teen. I loved God passionately then, but I didn’t know how to relax into Him. The practicals of ‘walk by faith’ eluded me. Figuring out these things before marriage is to your advantage.

We’re all familiar with the part of life called When Waiting. Jesus said, “Occupy till I come,” so I must be about my Father’s business, even while I wait. It is His path, and He leads me upon it, all the way to glory.

Any other thoughts you'd like to share!

I communicated to my friend early in our relationship that if he found a girl he wanted to pursue, could he please give me some warning. After a decade of friendship, there was no other girl, only a thing called Change. Time is a strange entity: it can seem significant and negligible and both in the same instant.

My mother married a month before she turned 30 after a short engagement to the first man she loved. At 16, even at 20, I thought that was ancient and she couldn’t possibly understand what it was like to desire marriage at 18. I assure you, 30 isn’t old. I’m glad for the maturity I’ve reached and what this allows me to share with other girls, but there’s still so much I don’t know and haven’t experienced. And I said this same thing when I was 20!

If I’d known at 16 that I would still be single at 32, I’d have been comatose with horror, but the truth is that I’ve had the freedom to do things that aren’t part of a wife-and-mother program. Surrender your all to the Lord Jesus Christ and His grace will be evident. He will smile on your life if you allow Him to have the controls.

1 comment:

april said...

I am encouraged! I've been desiring marriage since 18...and am currently 27 and in my 2nd year of medical school. Being a wife is still one of the greatest desires of my heart, but I press on with my schooling because I know that God has other purposes. At 18 I asked the Lord to keep a short leash on me. I also tested the waters of emotional purity...long enough to learn why emotional purity is important! I have yet to read the book...it'll be my first non-medical book purchase in a year or two!