Friday, May 23, 2008

05/23/08 - Joy in trials

This week I've started a 16 week study of the book of James. (If your interested in joining me, e-mail me at emotionalpurity@yahoo.com and I will send you the e-mail with the studies included. I am doing them along with Shannon Primicerio on line.)

Wednesday afternoon I read James 1:1-8 and the question was to share what verse(s) jumped out at you. These verses (2-5) jumped out at me: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

When asked to explain why those verses jumped out at me, I wrote: Because having PURE joy in a trial is completely counter cultural.

Then I heard about the Steven Curtis Chapman's family and the tragic death of their daughter. As I was talking to my brother-in-law about it I said, "I can't even wrap my mind around what I'd feel or how to even begin to process a loss such as that."

Then I was reminded of "Consider it pure joy...whenever you face trials." Wow...how does one do that? Only through God's grace, love, and having an eternal perspective, knowing that God is the same Tuesday, Wednesday afternoon, and today. He is unchanging.

I am not suggesting how the Chapman's are to walk through a season such as this, I just know that my deep desire is to face any trial the Lord sends my way with full assurance that He is in control and although I may be deeply disappointed, sad, unbearable grief filled, I will know He is the same and loves me just the same.

3 comments:

simplysanctified said...

Thank you for this post - I needed it!
My hearts goes out to the Chapman family as well - esp. her brother. May the Lord give them abundant strength and grace!

Bethany Hurstell said...

I just finished Kay Arthur's 16 week long study on James, are you doing the same thing?? It powerfully changed my heart and my view when I am facing any other trial that comes my way....I can be confident that each trial I persevere through with the strength of the Lord...it produces in me ENDURANCE...and endurance produces Perfection! He perfect us through the trials! What an awesome God He is! I will continue to lift up the Chapman family...I cannot imagine the pain!

May they find their feet standing firm upon the abundant provision of His grace (rom. 5:17)

P.S
thank you so much for writing in this blog, it blesses me beyond what you could know ;o)

Heather Paulsen said...

Bethany,

We are doing the study along with Shannon Primicerio...she is writing the study as we go.

I thank God this is a blessing to you!

Heather