Monday, May 12, 2008

05/12/08 - Hope Chest

Okay, so I had a hope chest before I got married. I bought so much for when I set up house: dishes, platters, pitchers, wall hangings, and a host of other odds and ends.

Well, we are having a HUGE garage/yard sale this weekend and you know what I am selling? Many of those items.

Why, you ask?

Well, it's not my taste any more. I had phases: Coke Cola phase, Chili pepper phase, collecting pitchers phase, collecting platter phase, Toy Store 2 phase...and other varies phases during those single years.

We moved into our house two years ago and we brought all that with us. When we decided to have a garage sale I told John, "Anything we've not used in 2 years we're selling!"

Well, I have a front porch FULL of stuff and more in my garage (and this doesn't include the big items in the basement and upstairs).

It sure feels good to be lightening our load!

I am not saying: have or don't have a hope chest...just be warned to not collect stuff during those phases ;-)

3 comments:

arcee said...

I think the concept of a hope chest is kinda quaint. Don't have one myself, but I can see that creating tender memories for a girl as she becomes a woman.

Narelle Worboys said...

I didn't get around to commenting on this earlier... I'm glad you wrote this, because my hope chest (which is a giant suitcase known as Wheelbarrow) is bulging with miscellaneous items collected over 15 or so years, and I know without having to look through it that I'd be wanting to sell or give away a pile of it, stuff that others have given me that's not to my taste, or stuff I've given myself that's no longer to my taste! Crumbs, I can't believe I thought that large clock with the (cute) ducks on it and a very loud tick would be admirable in a nursery! And towels and sheets...I have a rainbow selection, but my grown-up preference is for colour coordination in a room... So much of what we use is dispensable nowadays, but the concept of the hope chest has seemed somehow sacred, that I'm ungrateful to harbour unloving thoughts re. the contents. I read your article and said, "Hurray! How freeing to hear someone bold enough to be honest!" I don't think it's a big deal if you don't have a bulging hope chest. Maybe one day I'll get the Wheelbarrow down from the ceiling and have a chucking party, just leaving the heirlooms and other items with a history I treasure. Maybe I won't until I'm married...while there's room in the ceiling, it's hard to fight against the hoarding instinct. = )

Julie said...

My hope chest will probably end up consisting of various needlework projects I've completed and kept. I have several pictures scattered around the place that may one day hang on the walls of my own house, and a growing collection of bookmarks. Call me crazy when I start embroidering tablecloths, dresser mats, pillowcases, towels and such.