Monday, April 7, 2008

04/07/08 - Meaningless Talk

The other night I felt compelled to read 1 Timothy. It's not that long, so I was able to read the entire book in one sitting (of course the boys were in bed and the house was quiet ;-) )

There were a few things that jumped out at me, one verse was 1:6 said, "For some men....have turned aside to fruitless discussion." NAS

In NIV it states: Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk.

(I am not going to do a commentary on the entire first chapter or even put this verse in context, but this is the truth I took from the Word that night as I read.)

How often do we end up in these types of conversations. They're gibberish chatter, unedifying, not God honoring, and do nothing to further God's kingdom.

Our speech is so important. Our mouths are so important. The words we use bring life and blessing or death and curses. We can waste a great deal of time on words that need not be spoken!

I'll admit my mouth is my greatest weakness (UGRRR), but when it is under God's control has the power to be my greatest strength. I am reminded to make sure my words are always "full of grace, seasoned with salt" (Gal. 4:6).

No comments: