Monday, January 28, 2008

01/28/08 - "It's not my fault!"

Last summer we switched over to high speed internet. In doing so, we got a bundled package with phone, cable, and high speed. We did the research and it was about $200 less expensive to have all three, than just high speed only. So we reluctantly got cable.

You have to know we are not a TV family. We watch videos or PBS, but that is about the extent of our TV watching...oh and Chicago Bear Football!

In the 6 months we've had cable we've watched about 3 or 4 shows that would be cable shows.

All of this to say that last night I actually turned on the TV after the boys went to bed. I flipped on TLC to see if there was a "Trading Spaces" or "What Not to Wear" on. But this show, " My Shocking Story: Too young to be this fat" was on.

It showed this 13 year old girl who weight 321 pounds. She was on a journey hoping to have liposuction. She said, "This surgery is the only answer. I can not lose weight. I've tried, but I just can't lose weight."

Throughout the whole program you'd see her eating: french fries, chips, pop (soda or coke for you southern folks!), fried chicken, dessert...just junk food! But she'd say, "I just can't lose weight! I just want them to suck away the fat!"

Then there were these two commercials. The first one was from a lawyer explaining the new bankruptcy laws. He said, "You have get rid of all your bills!"

I said to my husband, "You've got to be kidding, people think you just' get rid of all your bills'"!?!

The next commercial was for a program to help you stop smoking. There were all these testimonials of people who just couldn't quit, till they found this program that told you that it's not your fault.

This woman said, "I was so relieved to find out it wasn't my fault!"

Okay, I just about wanted to reach into the TV and shake the people!

Do we pass the blame for EVERY behavior: how much food we eat, how much money we spend, how we abuse our bodies to smoking?

Reminds me of Adam, "This woman you gave me made me do it!"

As children of God we have to take ownership and responsibility of the things in our life. We are just reaping the harvest of what we've sown in our lives.

After 30 minutes of cable TV, I was reminded why we are going to drop cable after the introductory price is over!

4 comments:

Joseph said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I know passing the buck has never helped me, and it is disheartening to see our culture teach the young that it is never their fault. It is different to sin and confess than it is to sin and blame someone else.

Morgan Coy said...

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Bottom line. And no one seems to do that any more. By the way, if you are looking for an alternative cable replacement, we have SkyAngel Christian Satelite. (www.skyangel.com ) I would encourage you to check it out. We've had it for 5? years and my mom says without it we wouldn't even have a TV. =)
~morgan

Olivia said...

Hi Heather,
It is so true that people think that every problem/addition they have is a "disease". Let's see their is the disease of obesity, drug addition, and smoking. I really loved your post. Like Morgan (she's my sister) said Sky Angel is awesome! We rarely ever watch anything on regular tv anymore and even if there was something good on you always have awful commercials! Please check out my blog: www.oliviacoy.blogspot.com.
Olivia

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

Yeah, I agree that tv has a lot of junk....but there are Christian channels on many cable networks....

We don't have cable here in Australia but we have satelite tv. We have about ten or so Christian channels on satelite tv here. My family has had Christian satelite tv for a few years. We find it really inspiring and encouraging. There are music programs, sermons, cooking demos and children's programs. Many of them say that they are on cable across the USA.

Check it out and see if you have any Christian channels on you cable network.