Sunday, December 2, 2007

12/03/07 - Hangnail

So over the weekend I had this annoying little hangnail! It was on my thumb and it happened to be in a place I use a lot.

It hurt every time I used it: to do dishes, laundry, cooking, changing diapers, dressing my boys, to type, washing my hands...almost anything I did I felt it!

As I was doing one of my normal activities, and felt the pain of this little obnoxious hangnail, I thought about the body of Christ.

We are all different parts of the body of Christ: arms, eyes, toes, ears, and fingers! We all have different functions and we are all important to the healthy function of the whole body.

You may feel like your luke-warmness in your Christian walk is not really effecting anyone. You may rationalize that just because you're not growing in Christ likeness, is not changing anything.

But each and every one of us has a purpose, from God, to be healthy, growing in Christ likeness part of the body. The body functions at the best we can be, and to be growing closer to God.

3 comments:

Kaysie said...

Wow...what a message!
Thank you for sharing this. How true it is that we rarely consider our other "body members" and how much we affect each other.
I need to make sure I am not a hangnail! :)
Hope you are having a great day!
In Christ's body,
Kaysie

joy. said...

Hi, Heather! My name is Joy, and I'm a good friend of Sarah Barlow. I saw your name in an open screen on her computer and said, "wait a second - I know that name..." :) I read Emotional Purity once when I was 15, and again when I was 19. In fact, the truths in the book were really what made me recognize the potential of some of the most life-giving relationships I've chosen to develop. One friend said, "Hey, I'm really enjoying hanging out with you. I'm not really looking for a dating relationship right now. If something changes, you'll be the first to know. How do you feel?" Six years later, he is still one of my most treasured friends. Another guy said, "Joy, I'm attracted to you, and I'm interested in you. How do you feel? Can I get to know you better before I ask you out?" Pete is now my husband.

Thank you for opening your mouth and speaking the words that God has placed in your heart. They have enriched my life and my relationships.

- Joy

(My apologies for the email-sized comment.)

Joseph said...

It is interesting how we get so easily self-absorbed and then waste away in lonliness- when if we remembered we were not alone, we might cure both problems- the lonliness and the negative effect we were having on our brothers and sisters.