Monday, November 19, 2007

11/19/20 - The Truth

Why are we so quick to believe a lie and not seek out the truth?

This week in the paper, was an arrest post of a relative of mine...distant cousin. Well, I contacted his daughter, who is a friend as well as a cousin. I realized that I believed what I read without checking the facts. So, I wanted to support her and also give her a chance to voice what she knows. She wrote back and shed a little more light on this situation and it wasn't exactly what the paper said.

It just reminded me how often in my life I know people believe the lie. They don't do their own research. They hear or read gossip and they just blindly believe it.

They believe the gossip! They never go to the source. And we ALL know there are TWO sides to a story, never just one side! Why don't we think, "Innocent until proven guilty!"

I'll admit that I debated if I should or shouldn't contact my cousin about her dad, but I knew I wanted to go to the source. I didn't just want to believe what I read, I wanted to give her a fair chance to speak the truth. How I wish people would seek the truth more than just believe the gossip and slander.

What comes to mind in this who issues: Do unto others as you'd want done unto you.

So I think about when there is gossip or wrongful information or misrepresented information swirling around about you think, "What would I want someone to do? Spread it further, think it is truth and not ask you, or come to you and ask you?"

Let's be truth seekers!

2 comments:

BrittLeigh said...

Amen, amen and amen!!!!

Emily said...

That is very true. I just recently had an encounter with e-mail fwds. I fwded it do a few people, and my friend e-mailed me back and said that she had done a little research on it and found out different things. And e-mails, if you send them to people that send them, then they get spread fast! Thank you for that! It was a great reminder!