Wednesday, October 31, 2007

10/31/07 - For Guys

This morning I was reading the Proverbs of the day. Of course, now you're wondering, "Then why is this a post for guys, Proverbs 31 is about the wife of noble character, right?"

There were four things that stuck out to me, that never have before (don't you just love reading the Bible, it's always fresh and new!)

First, verse 1 and 2 say that these are the sayings of King Lemuel's mother.

Verse 2: O my son, O son of my womb, O son of my vows.

As a mom of two boys, this jumps out at me. The heart of a Christian mom is to see her sons grow into men of God, warriors for God's kingdom, and men who will be worthy of a woman described in verses 10-31.

The way that I would say verse two, to my sons is, "O Miles and Luke, the sons I have bore and raised. The sons that God has blessed me with. O boys, listen to me, listen to God, and seek Him!"

Second, is in verse 3: "Do not spend your strength on women."

Just seven words, packed FULL of wisdom!

The third new insight I found in verse 8 & 9: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

This is where God wants you to use your strength! Speaking up and defending those who cannot do it for themselves. What a challenge for King Lemuel and for men today! These are men of integrity and who are not self-seeking!

Finally, verse 23: "Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land."

Men in order to find a wife of noble character, you must be a man of noble, respectable character. A man who will find his place among the leaders, the spiritual leaders! What a task!

Men, I hope you find encouragement in these verses today!

1 comment:

Youlay said...

I remember listening to sermon on Women Who Fears The Lord and it's for guys, too.
I think it can be encouragement to you.
http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=670701014