Saturday, October 27, 2007

10/27/07 - Security

When my sister and I went to see BarlowGirl there was a group of girls sitting in front of us. One of them had a shirt on that said: BarlowGirl, on the front and on the back it said: Security.

We noticed this girl. As she was standing up, enjoying the music, she did a scan of her friends to make sure they were doing the same thing she was doing. She was looking around to make sure she wasn't alone in what she was doing.

My sister leaned over and said, "Do you notice how she's looking to her friends for security in what she's doing? Her shirt is appropriate on so many levels."

Us women, in general, do this, don't we? We look around at what our friends are doing, and if they're doing it, then we're secure.

This doesn't end in adulthood. I've seen grown women, look around to make sure what they are wearing, doing, saying; is fitting in with what is expected of them. We find security in having a relationship with a guy and when we don't have a boyfriend, we don't feel security in ourselves.

The truth is: we should find our self worth, our security, in God alone. We should look to see if our actions are pleasing Him. He should be our gage, not our friends or what the world says is normal.

I've done plenty of abnormal things for God. I've been called names (from social retard as a homeschooled teen to a Puritan for not dating), I've been teased, made to feel like my convictions are just way too Conservative and I've been on the outside of the normal societal standard. You know what...I like it out here! I like swimming up stream and looking at God for my standard.

Where are you finding your security?

2 comments:

Shells said...

The other day, I came across a music video for "Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy. I think the song describes the consequences of emotional attachment without the security of commitment wonderfully well. The chorus says:
"Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do."

Anonymous said...

I guess we raised a school of salmon!