Thursday, October 18, 2007

10/18/07 Guest Post - A Heart Full of Stuff

Heather and family are on vacation for a few days, enjoying the beautiful fall colors in Wisconsin! Heather just phoned me, asking if I would be a guest on her blog today...my name is Julie, I'm Heather's mother! She suggested I just share anything that God is teaching me right now...that's an easy assignment, I never seem to get out of His classroom!

Heather and her two sisters moved out of our large 1902 home when each of them married. The last sister left in 2005 leaving us, the parents, alone in this monster house! When I say monster I mean six bedrooms, three kitchens, five bathrooms...it's a three apartment house! We bought this house when our daughters were still living at home and nearing the age of 30...they wanted their "own space!" After three weddings in four years, their dad and I were left with this monster house to care for on our own! So, we're downsizing to a smaller home.

Our new house is a cute little cottage style, all on one level, about one third the size of monster house! The new home happens to be right behind where we live now! We are not moving far, but we are far from being able to move! So, now we are learning, or being forced to learn how to downsize! After 36 years of marriage we have lots of "stuff" accumulated...stuff here, stuff there, stuff everywhere, and lots of space to stuff all our stuff! I just mentioned to a friend yesterday that we have so much stuff, "it's sinful!"

We went through the garage first, a three car garage, and emptied it making room for our three piles...one giveaway, one garage sale and one to keep! Next we went to the basement apartment and started emptying...now the garage is filling up again and we haven't even emptied two rooms! Yet, with each trip to the garage, I'm feeling such freedom and liberty coming from lightning our load, giving up our grip on things, and anticipating living with less!

And truly, all this stuff has very little value! Even the items I think could possibly be sold on ebay, when I check it out and see them going for $.99...well, let's just say our garbage cans are filling up also! I guess my house could almost be the fifth "Dollar Store" in town! That's sad!

So, what is God teaching me right now? That's easy! You can check it out on my blog, http://www.xanga.com/Marmee_Ann Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

Our heart, everything seems to get back to our heart!

Tomorrow, Heather will return!

2 comments:

Heather Paulsen said...

Thanks Mom!

BrittneyLeigh said...

Ah, reminds me so much of a recent happenstance... The vast majority of my wardrobe and I spent the summer in NE. As circumstances would have it, a short vacation to home in WI. ended up being the long-term settling in--decided at the last minute... after I was out of Nebraska, while many of my belongings still residing there. I learned to make do with the few things I had for clothes and other such items that when my wardrobe was returned, I'm suddenly realizing how much better off I was before with few things. More space, easier cleanliness, and fewer decisions :). I'm thinking it's time to go through and rid myself of half my wardrobe. Afterall, less is more! Thanks for sharing this, MomToHeather :).