Wednesday, September 26, 2007

09/26/07 - Get him out of my thoughts!!

I love e-mails! Keep them coming!

I received one last week and she, like any normal 16 year old, is struggling with keeping her thoughts from drifting. She asked: "HOW DO I GET HIM OUT OF MY THOUGHTS?" That's just how she wrote it!

How do we keep our thoughts pure? We meet a young man, we see things in him we long for in a mate, and the next thing we know we can't stop thinking about him. We think about how our future would work with him.

Our thoughts may go like this, "Okay, I am 16, he's 19. He's in college, I am in high school. He'll graduate and I can move to where he is when he is done. I'll be 19 and he'll be 21. We can get married the spring he is done. He's in a field that my dad is in, so maybe my dad can get him a job. Then maybe we can start having babies. Oh, won't it be fun when he realizes I am the one for him!"

We even think about how wonderful all his qualities are and how those are the things we've prayed for in a mate. We think, think, think, and think some more, till were "thinked" out! (Yes, I know thinked is not a word :-))

It's all in our thought life! We must memorize scripture and replace those thoughts with God's truth!

2 Corinthians 10:5:
"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ."

This is a great place to start! We destroy speculations (does he like me, is he the one) by taking our thoughts captive.

Philippians 4
"6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. "

Not being anxious (will I ever get married?!) but turning to God in thankful prayer, will give you peace in your hearts and MINDS!

There are many more scriptures to help in this area...I hope these get you excited to find more for you to memorize and use in the battle of controlling your thoughts.

1 comment:

Carla said...

oh! my mum bought the book "Emotional Purity" for me, but now my sister gets to read it first because I think my mom feels my sis needs to read it more then me right now ;)
I can not wait to read the book, my mum says it is a very good book! AT this age (15) I am really trying to figure out all this emotional stuff, relationships and what to do when you find the so called "the one".
fantastic post by the way!