Monday, September 10, 2007

09/10/07 - Book of the Month

This month we're looking at Shopping for Time: How to do it all and not be overwhelmed by Carolyn Mahaney, Nicole Whitacre, Kristin Chesemore, Janelle Bradshaw.

Like I mentioned in my 09/01 post about this book, it's an easy read being under 100 pages. Carolyn and her daughters write as if they are having a coffee conversation with you about time management.

They basically break down "shopping for time" into five tips:
1) Rise Early
2) Sit Still
3) Sit and Plan
4) Consider People
5) Plan to Depend

Today we'll look at: Rise Early, joining the 5 AM Club.

The four authors have a 5 AM Club. Yes, 5 Am!!! Basically, they have committed to each other to rise at 5 AM to have quiet time with God. They encourage you to get up early to have your first part of the day be focused on the Lord.

I'll be the first to admit that 5 AM is a little early for me. Since my boys get up (most days) at 6:30 AM, me and two other friends have started the 6 AM club. We have committed to getting up and spending time with God.

As a mom, who treasures her sleep, making this commitment was not easy. I have lots of excuses to getting as much sleep as my boys allow me, but after reading this book, I felt convicted to make a point to get up and spend time with my Lord.

Having my two friends, Heather and Lori, join me in this has been great accountability. I think of them when I get out of bed. I pray for them and they pray for me. We check in with each other and all three of us have seen God bless our decision to get out of bed and spend time with Him.

Will be looking at the other four tips later this month! But if you seem to never have time for God, consider starting your own "5 AM club"!

No comments: