Friday, August 10, 2007

08/10/07 - My Name

I have been thinking for awhile that I should clarify my name. My name is Heather Patenaude. I did take my husband's name when I got married. I know for some people this could be confusing, because I talk about being a submissive woman, then I still have my maiden name on my book.

Most people associate a woman who keeps her own name, even after she marries, with the women's movement of the 70's. Women associated with that movement would be considered head strong, independent, and thoroughly annoyed with a woman who would use the word "obey" in her wedding vows.

To clarify: Emotional Purity was first released in 2001, when I was single, under the name: Heather Arnel Paulsen. In May of 2006 when Crossway Books picked up my book; my husband, my agent, my publisher, and I sat in a meeting talking about my name, along with a host of other issues.

As we talked about which name to use we all agreed that Paulsen is much easier to say than Patenaude (pronounced: Pat in aud). We also agreed that since the book was released under Paulsen, that it should stay Paulsen.

My husband agreed and felt this was the best name to use. He, in no way, felt I was dishonoring him by using Paulsen as my book name.

Just wanted to clarify!

2 comments:

Natalie Marie said...

Heather,
This is Natalie from the YLCF...I wanted to respond to your comment via email if possible. You can contact me at ylcfmail at gmail dot com.

Margaret said...

Women associated with that movement would be considered head strong, independent, and thoroughly annoyed with a woman who would use the word "obey" in her wedding vows.

Not quite. I am one of those women associated with that movement, and I kept my own name after marriage. Yes, I am headstrong, independent, and would be thoroughly annoyed if someone were to demand that I use the word "obey," in MY wedding vows or demand that women in general use the word "obey." BUT I would never, ever be annoyed with another woman for using the word "obey!" I may think that you or other such women are selling yourselves short, but that is quite a different thing than being "annoyed" with you or condemning you in any way. It's an unfortunate misconception that hard-core feminists always want to berate other women. Most of us would agree that blaming other women for their life choices helps no one.

P.S. Are you from NH? Patenaude is a very common name around here.