Monday, August 20, 2007

08/20/07 - Interview Part 1

The next couple of days I will be sharing Carolyn's (author of: Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?) interview.


1) What prompted you to write this book? What was your main motivation?

I know my book has an ominous title, but the heart of the book is found in the subtitle: "Trusting God with a Hope Deferred." I began to think about this book as I was working on another one. Several years ago, I had the privilege of helping Carolyn Mahaney with the first draft of her book, Feminine Appeal. I was immersed in her audio series from Titus 2:3-5, turning these audio messages into print format. As I literally soaked myself in the wonderful portrait of biblical femininity found in those verses, I realized that I had been identifying more with an adjective than a noun. In other words, I was thinking of myself as a SINGLE woman, rather than a WOMAN who happens to be single today. It seems to me as I survey Scripture, the emphasis is more on why God made us in His image as women, not what season of life we happen to be in.

Later, as I was thinking and praying about how to apply this in my own life, I realized that Proverbs 31 is a passage that was taught to a young man by his mother. It is a Hebrew acrostic, meaning each line starts with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. This future king was being simultaneously taught his alphabet, as well as the virtues of a woman who would make an excellent wife for him one day. In other words, these virtues should be evident in a woman BEFORE she gets married.

When I realized that, a light bulb went off in my head. This was the road map to my femininity now as a single woman. Once I began studying that passage in this light, I also had the outline for my book.

So despite the fact that the book's title is a question we can often ask ourselves (yes, it's a question and not a statement!!), the focus of the book is not this "felt need" but the encouragement we can derive from the Proverbs 31 portrait. My goal was to provide a picture of fruitful femininity that transcends season of life and helps us to navigate from singleness to marriage and even widowhood, if that's what happens. I wanted to put a stake in the idea that singleness is a cul-de-sac in adulthood, a waiting room of sorts, rather than a season we can use to serve others and build the church for the glory of God.

No comments: